Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Garmin Smartphone Link v1.3 - More problems

If you spend a few minutes reading my past blog posts, you'll see a history of documented problems with Garmin Smartphone Link. Unfortunately, tonight, with the v1.3 update, it is more of the same from Garmin. 

The phrase that ought to strike fear in every Garmin executive (and shareholder) is "good enough." In other words "Google Navigation is good enough." Or "Waze is good enough." You could even preface the comment with "It's no Garmin, but..."

Those apps move closer to be "good enough" for mainstream consumers in the following ways:


  1. Garmin continues to try to sell a dedicated navigation device for the same price as a Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone or for MORE than a Google Nexus 7.
  2. The features of Google Navigation (or Waze or others) continues to improve while Garmin continues to artificially restrict software features on existing models to protect future hardware sales. 
  3. Garmin becomes a pain in the ass to deal with.

Tonight, I have arrived at #3.

I've moved on from the Smartphone Link problems that I've described in detail in my blog. I've moved on from the ridiculous amount of effort it took for me to spoon feed the details of their problems to someone at Garmin that actually knew what Smartphone Link was. I was willing to forgive and forget. Then they do it again. They release v1.3 tonight and what do you know - more problems.

Smartphone Link v1.2 worked fine for me today on 3 different occasions. I updated to v1.3 tonight while enjoying the pot roast sandwich at Culver's (you should try it - it is good!) I jumped back into my car and the little Smartphone Link icon turned blue, the Smartphone Link icon on my Nuvi appeared and I was off - driving home.

Except....the temperature on my Nuvi was listed as "--" instead of the ridiculously hot 99 degrees that it is here. I went to the weather app on my Nuvi and I was greeted by an advertisement telling me all the great features of Advanced Weather. I know. I already bought it (twice actually).

I go to the Smartphone Link services icon on my phone and low and behold, all 4 services that I own and already used today are now shown with a price tag. My "subscribed services" are blank. As is typical with an in-app purchase, sometimes you have to let the app and the server communicate so that the server can tell the app "hey, app - this guy already purchased this feature - light it up for him chief." Except, I couldn't find a way to do that in the app.

I picked the cheapest service: "Advanced Weather" for $4.99 and selected purchase. I figured that I'd get into the process deep enough that at some point the server would inform the app that I purchased it already. Then I see the email notification from Google. I got a fresh, new, shiny $4.99 in-app charge.

I decided that I'd uninstall the Smartphone Link app and reinstall it. Maybe it was just a glitch. Upon reinstalling it, now I find even the $4.99 that I just purchased 2 minutes ago is no longer listed as subscribed. It too now shows up in services that I can purchase.

Since this is an in-app charge, there is no 15 minute return policy. I have to deal with Garmin. Well, I've been down that road before. Garmin, to this day, has never responded to double billing me. NOW, they have triple billed me.

So I call Garmin support on the phone. Guess what. They are only open from 8am - 6pm Monday through Friday. I'll be damned if I am going to take time off from work to sit in my car to trouble shoot their sloppy software development.

So for me, tonight, Garmin has officially fallen into #3 above - being a total pain in the ass to deal with.

I bit the bullet on #1 above - buying a $399 Nuvi after not owning one since the 885T. I've lived with my 3590 rebooting multiple times per week (yes, even after the latest firmware). Now I officially regret my purchase. Tonight it just crossed the threshold into "not worth it" territory. Google Navigation became "good enough" for me. Tonight I can see myself looking back on this day referring to the last Garmin I ever purchased.

Garmin should be better than this. Their products are priced at a premium. They are the world leader in consumer navigation. These sloppy problems should come from the #3 or #4 company in the industry, or the free app guys - not the supposed top player. Garmin should quit using their customers as beta testers. And they ought to try providing a 2012 level of customer service. Social media can be used for more than promoting your racing team you know!