Thursday, January 12, 2012

Strike 1 for Garmin Support's Response on Smartphone Link

I've documented, in detail, my problem, testing and conclusions about a potential conflict between Garmin's new Smartphone Link Live Traffic service and the GTM-60 HD Radio Traffic service. You can read about that in detail by clicking here and here.

I also did what any good customer should do and filed a detailed support ticket using the Contact Us support feature on Garmin's website.  They have a specific menu selection for the mobile team, and the Smartphone Link product.  I would assume then, that this would go to someone knowledgable about the Smartphone Link app - someone who could start to assist in solving this problem.

Arrogance is not something I like.  But good lord Garmin, between my email below and this blog, I've spoon fed you 1000% times more than most consumers are going to on this problem.  Solve it.  Don't blow me off with marketing auto replies and call that support.

Here is what I sent Garmin (click to enlarge):


And here is the ridiculous response that I got (click to enlarge):


In response to a detailed technical support question, complete with screen shot example links, I get back basically an auto-reply marketing brochure for the product that I am having a problem with.  Note:  this is NOT the auto-reply that I got immediately after filing the support claim.  This is the "personal support" response that I waited 3 business days for.

I actually did call the 800 support number the night that I started having this problem.  Her response was "Is Smartphone Link a Garmin product?"  "Where did you get it?"  "What does it do?"  Really Garmin?

So between a clueless telephone support response and a I-could-care-less email auto-reply response, it appears that Garmin support is about what it was when I quit using my 885T out of frustration - useless for anyone that happens to know a thing or two about technology and electronics.

Really Garmin?  Is this the best you have to offer your customers who are purchasing your latest and greatest products?  Frustrating beyond belief.