Friday, January 13, 2012

Garmin Smartphone Link - Ideas for Improvements & New Features

If you read this blog you know my enthusiasm for Garmin's new Smartphone Link app for Android.  If you don't then read here to catch up.  Here is where I'll keep a running list of all the ideas for fixes, improvements and changes to the Nuvi with Smartphone Link.  Here we go:
  • Add a proximity alert feature to photoLive traffic cameras. When you drive through the defined point, show a preselected camera video in split screen.
  • Provide an indication of bluetooth connection status on the map screen.
    • In my use of Smartphone Link I've found the bluetooth connection to be generally good but finicky at the same time. I've been driving for awhile and only when I by chance returned to the main menu screen did I learn that the Nuvi wasn't connected via bluetooth.
  • Provide an ice warning when the weather data indicates precipitation and the temperature indicates < 32 degrees.
  • Show the current temperature on the map screen while in a route. This is important when traveling in near-freezing conditions.
  • Develop a "Meeting Travel Planner" in Smartphone Link.
    • Read my phone's calendar.
    • Read the address from my calendar appointment's Location field.
    • Obtain my phone's current location.
    • Calculate the travel time to my next appointment in the Garmin Cloud.
      • Take knowledge of current traffic conditions into account.
    • Alert me on my smartphone that I need to leave for the appointment, including a user defined amount of extra minutes.
    • Pass the destination from the calendar appointment's Location field to my Nuvi.
    • Send me on my way.
Subscribe to this blog to be notified as I add more ideas.